- Bruichladdich Distillery Co Ltd have switched to 100% green electricity
- Made additional packaging voluntary which led to 46% of consumers choosing to remove the outer tin from their purchase
- Carried out feasibility study for use of innovative green hydrogen technology to be installed, with a goal of seeking funding to implement this
- Support local biodiversity through Islay Pollinator Project and planting 7,500 trees around warehouses
- Sustainability is evidently at the core of the company purpose and values
- Impressive full Lifecycle Assessments on every product
- Strong engagement with supply chain
- First Single Scotch Whisky Distiller in the world to achieve B Corp certification
Bruichladdich Distillery Co Ltd are a whisky and gin distiller based on the Isle of Islay. A certified ‘B Corp’ who assess and monitor their environmental impacts across all aspects of their business, including Full Lifecycle Assessments on every product. They aim to decarbonise distillation by 2025 (scope 1&2) and be Net Zero by 2050.
Bruichladdich Distillery demonstrate strong collaboration with the supply chain including designing out waste, reducing packaging and reducing inputs on farms. They are a significant customer of local farms - Bruichladdich recognises their economic responsibility in relation to the prosperity of place.
Through a number of projects, they are sharing risks with their suppliers recognising that change needs to happen, instead of expecting suppliers to take on all the risks. They also have a culture of “continually curious” mentality with bold thinking and not being afraid to try things in their journey to Net Zero and wider sustainability whether it is successful or not. e.g. testing Hydrogen in Bruichladdich and Islay.
The Leadership Scotland Award recognises businesses with the strategic vision, people policies and management systems that enable them to continuously improve their contribution to Scotland’s sustainable development goals. This award is for the holistic leadership and management of sustainability within a business, across all functions.
Bruichladdich Distillery have a strong focus on its staff as the largest private employer on Islay. They have conducted a pay review vs cost of living, benchmarked with 7 other local distilleries, and focused on good jobs with career progression for staff within the business.
It is evident that sustainability is a core value for this business, and it is embedded in decision making at senior management level and wider group level, including a staff committee.
The judges were all impressed by the range of initiatives and overall approach as the company works towards its NetZero aim.
“We are proud to have been recognised at this year’s VIBES Scottish Environment Business Awards as the winner of the Leadership award. It is testament to the hard work and commitment from everyone at Bruichladdich Distillery.
“Supporting our island community, finding greener solutions and balancing profit with purpose drive our business, and it is fantastic to be recognised among other like-minded organisations who also champion these values.” Douglas Taylor, CEO at Bruichladdich Distillery